Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas or Thanksgiving Day Leftovers Pie

Oh my goodness.


If you still have any leftovers from Christmas dinner - make this pie.  Please.  It's for your own good.

Christmas or Thanksgiving Day Leftovers Pie

(This is the only part of the pie that actually requires effort - but trust me when I say that it is well worth it not to buy a pre-made crust for this pie)
Miscellaneous Christmas or Thanksgiving Day Leftovers
4 cups Gravy

Start by pre-making your pie crust so it has time to chill overnight.  I made mine on Sunday night with the intent of making the pie yesterday, but obviously that didn't happen. :)


Note:  This recipe makes TWO pies.  So you can either make two pies or cut the crust in half and freeze what you don't use.


 I chose to freeze the half I didn't use, but my mom and I are already thinking that we want to use it to make another pie!


Using a lot of flour, roll out the dough nice and evenly. 


Then very carefully roll the dough around your rolling pin - and then roll it back out onto your pie plate.


Make sure you leave enough to pinch the crusts!  But also make sure that you have enough extra for the top crust.


Now it's time to make your pie!  Start with the lighter foods on the bottom.  I layered the bottom with green beans, then added cubed turkey.


Then I threw on the rest of the stuffing, corn and mushrooms.


Meanwhile, heat the gravy on the stove so it is a thinner consistency when you pour it on the pie.



Then pour roughly three cups of the gravy onto the pie.


It is also helpful to heat up any potatoes you use in the pie so they are easier to spread.  I went with the mashed potatoes first ... 


... and then the yams.


Then roll out the extra crust ... 


... pinch the edges and cut four slits into the top (all the way through) for ventilation.

Bake at 375 for 40 minutes, or until the crust is a nice golden brown.


Like so!


Cut and enjoy.  Afterward we realized that we should have drizzled some of the leftover gravy on top of the slices after we served everyone - that would be an excellent addition!

With the exception of the fact that you have to make the crust ahead of time, this pie is so easy and quick!  I hope the fact that I uploaded 15 pictures doesn't deter you from trying it - I just like to be thorough.

I can't wait to hear what you all put in your leftover pies!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like such an awesome idea! Although we don't really have leftovers in the house, it's definitely something I want to keep in mind for next year!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails