Thursday, September 15, 2011

Small World

I had lunch today with a clergy friend of mine.  We tried out a restaurant that neither one of us had ever been to, Trinity.


VERY cool restaurant.  Great menu and not too expensive, either.  The atmosphere was quiet for lunch (which was nice, these lunches are really just an opportunity to talk and catch up) but apparently is much louder at dinner, especially when there are big games on (there are tons of TVs and screens that can be pulled down).  I want to go back for dinner some time!


I ordered a Chicken BLT (a CBLT?) and Sweet Potato Fries.  I was so surprised when the Sweet Potato Fries came out crinkled!  I don't think I've seen that before.  They were perfectly cooked, too - they weren't overly fried, so you could actually taste the sweet potato.

Funny story:  Doug (the pastor I had lunch with) worked with my mom when she was serving a church in Washington, CT.  He was serving a church nearby.  When she moved to the church in Kent, he did some consulting for her congregation there.

Actually - when I started the process of discernment, she was talking to him one day and told him that I was thinking of going into the ministry (I think at the time she was kind of scared for me, ha!).

Anyway, a few years ago, he started at a church in this area.  Then a few weeks ago, an article came out in a local paper about me and my ministry in Rehoboth.  The same day it came out, I received an email from Doug, who was kind of flabbergasted that after working with my mom in Connecticut and after she told him that I was going into the ministry, he and I are now down the street from each other in Massachusetts.

Small world, right?

Also - he is brilliant.  His blog, ImperfectChurches.org, is based on the idea that no church is perfect.  Letting go of the notion that we one day can be is the first step to having a vital ministry.  He also has written two books, Challenging The Church Monster: From Conflict To Community and The Honest To God Church: A Pathway To God's Grace.  I am so lucky that he is willing to talk with me and help talk me through some of the challenges of being a new pastor.

Alright, it's time for me to wind down. I spent a lot of time talking today and I'm ready to shut the day off.  Goodnight!

1 comment:

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails