Friday, June 17, 2011

Newport Take 2

What a wonderful day!


Anyone want to go in together on a mansion?  I'm sure the historic society wouldn't mind selling ... :)

So the rain didn't exactly hold off while we were in Newport, but it didn't really put a damper on the day.  Instead of walking the beaches, we walked the shops and toured one of the mansions!


We started with lunch at the Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant.  It was PHENOMENAL!  I had a smoked turkey club and french fries.


I really can't stand driving in Newport so we decided to leave our cars parked and walk to the Cliff Walk and the mansions - it was about 3 miles so it was nice post-lunch.


The Breakers is one of the biggest and more popular mansions in Newport - a summer/weekend cottage of the Vanderbilt family.


Can you imagine this being your WEEKEND home?!


No photography allowed inside (they say it's to "preserve the home" but I think it's so that you buy the postcards!) but here are some exteriors ...


Gorgeous!  The self-guided tour took about an hour and a half and by the time we got out the sun was poking out!


We decided to walk back via the cliff walk and I'm so glad we did!  The views were breathtaking and it was such a peaceful day.


Do you see that little one dot on the cliff way out?  That's a bride!  They were doing their photos - can you imagine a more perfect spot?


I didn't really realize it until we got back, but what a great workout!  I'm so glad we walked and didn't drive.


Back in town the sailboats were all docked - there was supposed to be a regatta today, but I'm not sure it happened because of the rain.  As soon as we got into the car to drive home, it started to rain again and it's been doing that off and on ever since.

Such a fun day, but I'm totally exhausted!  We probably walked 6 miles and I was not wearing the right shoes (ha!).

I have a graveside in the morning so I'm going to start to wind down.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails