Friday, April 29, 2011

Zack's Classic Veggie Wrap

I would like to share a story.

It involves this.


And college.


And this girl.  I miss her.

(This photo was taken during our last week of college!)

When Sarah and I were at Ursinus College we used to have a routine.  We would go to class, work or the library all day.  Then we would meet a little before 5 and walk to Zack's Restaurant, one of the dining halls.  Then we would each get a veggie wrap.  Then we would bring it back to one of our rooms and watch the 5:00 Gilmore Girls rerun while we ate dinner.  Then we would digest, go to the gym, shower and study for the rest of the night.

It has been four years since we graduated and we still think about those veggie wraps.  We talk about them on gchat all the time.  There was something amazing about them!  The gigantic portions?  The different tastes?  The ability to customize it however you wanted?  Who knows ...

I do know this.  Tonight, I recreated one.

And it was amazing.  And I would like to share the recipe.

Zack's Classic Veggie Wrap
1 Large Round Tortilla Wrap
Hummus (or chickpeas & the fixin's to make your own)
Lettuce, thinly sliced
Tomatoes, sliced
Cucumbers, sliced
Red Onions, diced
Pickles
Banana Peppers
Cheese (pick your favorite!)

Let's start with our hummus, shall we?


I hate spending money on hummus when a can of chickpeas is so inexpensive - so I rinsed and drained a can of chick peas and ground it with two cloves of garlic, a few pinches of sea salt and about 1 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.


Spread a nice layer of hummus on the center of the wrap (I think I skimped a little this time - give yourself some more!).


And layer the lettuce first.  Don't skimp on the lettuce, either - this is what gives the wrap so much volume.


Then add your tomatoes and your cucumbers ...


And your red onions, pickles and banana peppers.  If you haven't tried banana peppers and don't like other peppers, don't worry - they don't really taste like red or green peppers - or even hot peppers.  I'm not sure I can describe the taste very well.  But the juices of the peppers and the pickles are the reason you don't need any dressing on this wrap - they keep it from drying out.

Anyway, you can find them in a jar near the pickles at the grocery store!


The cheese goes on last.  Zack's always had sliced, I only had shredded.  I think sliced works better, but this got the job done.


Then wrap, cut and devour on your deck on a beautiful spring evening with your husband.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing!! I have been afraid to try banana peppers. And i LIKE other peppers, just not hot ones. They're not hot? i will have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, the wrap looks yummy! I'm of of Middle East extraction (Assyrian), we also use tahini (ground sesame) in the chick pea mixture-it adds another layer of taste and texture. Roasted pine nuts gives it a nice flavor too but they're expensive so I use them sparingly!

    Isn't it amazing how food evokes the most amazing memories? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails