Monday, April 4, 2011

Grilled Vegetable Spaghetti

I am feeling exhausted.


But I am also feeling very very blessed.  I had a wonderful first day in the office!

Around 3:00 this afternoon I realized that I had never stopped for lunch (whoops).  I left my office a little before 4:00, made a quick trip to the grocery store and came home for some hearty comfort food.  Bruce helped me devise this recipe up - I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Grilled Vegetable Spaghetti

1 small Yellow Onion
1 can Mushroom Stems & Pieces
1 medium Yellow Squash
1 medium Zucchini
Angel Hair Pasta
1 jar Marinara Sauce
1/2 cup Water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

(spices)
Garlic
Basil
Salt & Pepper


Start with your veggies - perhaps eventually we can pull these from our garden ... ?


Dice your onion and drain the mushrooms.  Saute the onions in some extra virgin olive oil until they are soft and then add the mushrooms.  Let them cook for about ten minutes and then add the sauce.


Reduce the heat to low or simmer - I like to add 1/2 cup Water to thin out the sauce a bit.  Wine works too. :)


Then focus your attention on the squash!  Slice the squash on an angle and toss them in extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.


Throw the squash pieces on a heated grill or skillet (I use cast iron, but you don't have to).  Flip after a few minutes (they pieces should have nice lines and be soft, but not soggy).


Remove the veggies from the skillet and put them on a plate while everything else cooks.


 Meanwhile, boil up some water and throw in some angel hair pasta until it's cooked.


Add the squash to the sauce and give the flavors a few minutes to seep together.


Then serve!


This was delicious - and the best part was that all of the ingredients (actually, I already had the sauce and pasta) cost me $5.  And we've got leftovers!

I have a meeting at church tonight but I'm hoping to come home to see absolute dominance by UCONN in tonight's men's championship game.  Go Huskies!

2 comments:

  1. I love veggies with pasta! I had zucchini with penne last night. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmy! I follow you on twitter and love how you update on fabulous recipes! They seem perfect!

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails