Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Raspberry Sauce

Morning!  Between the snow and some stuff going on over here, I needed a little boost this morning.  Actually, I had some trouble falling asleep last night, so I was already thinking about breakfast as I drifted off into dreamland.


And this was what I dreamed about.

The great thing about the baked oatmeal that I made yesterday is that it makes tons of leftovers (for only two people).  The bad thing about it is that it makes tons of leftovers.  It's hard for me to have variety in my menu when I'm trying not to waste food!  So I thought about experimenting with different toppings to give this dish some pizazz!  When I went shopping in Maura's freezer last week, she sent me home with a huge bag of frozen raspberries from her summer garden ...


And they were my inspiration for this morning's breakfast.

It was easy - very easy!  Here's what you do ...

Raspberry Sauce
(recipe found here)


2 cups Raspberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Orange Juice
2 tbsp Cornstarch
1 cup Cold Water


Layer a skillet with your raspberries and pour the sugar on top.


Then pour in the orange juice ...


In a separate bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch until well dissolved.


Then pour the mixture in the skillet, turn it on high and carefully mix everything together.


Gently push on the raspberries to start to break them up as they heat up.


When the mixture comes to a boil, lower the heat to simmer and mix constantly for five minutes.


After five minutes, remove the sauce from heat ...


Using a blender or an immersion blender, blend the sauce to break up the last of the berries.


Then strain the sauce into a jar and enjoy!


Store in the refrigerator - serve warm or cold!


Breakfast was incredible this morning.  In-credible.




The sauce was amazing on the baked oatmeal, but I'm thinking that it would also be amazing on ice cream, fresh fruit or pie.

Or ... you know ... by the spoonful.

Have a great day!  I'm letting myself have a snow day today.  Minimal work.  Just play. :)

2 comments:

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails