Monday, January 17, 2011

I Made A Veggie Burger?

I have a food blogging confession:  I grew up eating simple food.  That's not to say that I didn't eat well, but my dad was the chef in the house and he wasn't a fan of the fancy stuff.  He liked his meat and potatoes.  He was also really picky about the vegetables he would eat (you should see his face when someone even mentions peas) so we ate a lot of green beans, broccoli and cauliflower.

Suffice is to say, the term "Veggie Burger" was not one used in our house.

However, part of my New Year's Resolution is to expand my blog.  And since my blog pushes me to expand my culinary horizons, I decided to try something new today.

I made a Black Bean Burger for lunch.


I like to serve main dish-type foods on top of salads so I can sneak in extra veggies, so that's what I did with it.


I melted cheese on top of the burger and then drizzled a little bit of italian dressing on the whole salad.  It was good, but I kind of wish I had some ranch in my fridge.  Ooh, or honey mustard.  That would have pushed it over the edge.


In the end, I was impressed with myself!  It was surprisingly easy to make and the texture didn't freak me out as much as I thought it would.  I have some leftover black beans so in the next few days I'll make another one and post some photos of the process.

Has anyone else ever made bean burgers?  How do you do it?

9 comments:

  1. Funny... You and another friend both posted about black bean burgers today! Here is the link to my friend's... http://ageofindependence.blogspot.com/2011/01/black-bean-burgers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds good, but i wouldn't even know how to begin to make one of those, so i look forward to the process post! : ) also, growing up, pork n beans was a staple "veg" at EVERY dinner. seriously, it was my dad's favorite, so we'd switch up the accompanying veg, but every meal was a meat, a potato, and a can of pork n beans w/ brown sugar. mmmm. sort of mmm anyway. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try to do a step-by-step tomorrow. From the sounds of the weather report, I won't be going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I grew up the same way... good food, but mostly plain. I remember the first time I had Chinese food...I was like "Whoa..." haha... :) Way to go on the veggie burger, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love veggie burgers on salads! My favorite veggie burger recipes are Angela's @ Oh She Glows - the in a jiffy spelt burgers are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so yummy! Burger King actually has a veggie burger on their menu, and that is all I will eat there. It is really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made black bean burgers before and I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made black bean burgers before, but I won't pass on the recipe (just yet) because I thought they were just too...mushy. I think if I had broiled them, then grilled them (as suggested in the recipe, actually), they would have turned out a lot better.
    Yours look yummy! I like the idea of melting cheese on top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Burger King has a veggie burger on the menu? Wow - kudos to them!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails