Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Husky Mania

Guess what?!


Big game tonight!  The UCONN women are playing to break UCLA's record for consecutive wins - tonight (hopefully) will be win #89.  My dad cooked up a big game-day feast for the occasion!

But I'm getting ahead of myself ...


The summer before my senior year of college, I was touring a food bank in Cleveland, Ohio.  The woman who was giving the tour explained that one of the biggest problems facing persons living in poverty in obesity.  Healthy, real, wholesome food is extremely expensive - cheaper foods are usually the more processed junk foods (and these are usually the foods that are donated at food banks).


What does this have to do with my lunch?  Well, thanks for asking! :)

By no means are we living in poverty.  But we are on a really strict budget because of the move and have no business going crazy at the grocery store.  As someone who tries desperately to eat as healthily and cook as creatively as possible, it pains me to have frozen pizza on the menu so much.  However - serving it with a big side of steamed veggies is a great way to sneak in some healthy components.  And experimenting with different dipping sauces adds a little bit of creativity and variety to an otherwise boring meal.


Holy HAIR batman!

***

I went with a warm and cozy Wear a Dress Tuesday outfit today.


Today I'm wearing:
- Black New York & Co skirt from years and years ago (hand-me-down from my mom)
- Black Target leggings from last year (?)
- A red tank top from some hole in the wall bulk mark-down store near the cemetery where a friend of mine is buried (I was indulging in some post-visit retail therapy)
- A black sweater and cream shawl that I think I got in a bag of hand-me-down clothes from my cousin.  Thanks Jodi!
- Black "Uggs" from Target


I love hand-me-downs!

***

Tonight's game-day FEAST!


Tortilla Chips and Spicy Cheese Sauce (heated slowly in the crock pot).


Chips and Sour Cream and Onion Dip.


My dad is hardcore - outdoor grilling in 29 degrees?  For a woman's basketball game - yes!


Spicy Sausage Sandwiches and Noodles tossed with Broccoli, Cauliflower,  Parmesan and Garlic.  Delicious!


I a firm believer that grills should be used year-round.  Agreed?

Alright, I'm going to attempt to get some work done during this game.  GO UCONN!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love your outfit today!
    Honestly, for my first year of marriage, my husband relied very heavily on frozen products and pasta from our local discount grocery store. We did what we could health-wise, and I don't think either of us suffered noticeably or gained any weight during the process.
    And grills year-round? I agree!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails