Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Christmas Feast

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
John 1:1-5

Let's celebrate that Word with a feast, shall we?

It took most of the day for me to get my appetite back after my half marathon on Thanksgiving, so I told my dad he owed me a huge Turkey dinner for Christmas.  He did not disappoint!


 He printed out an actual menu for dinner!  It was such a nice touch, even though it was just the five of us.  We're fancy!


Our 17 pound Turkey in all its glory.  My dad covers the entire bird in bacon for cooking flavor and it is incredible!  He also preheats the oven to 500 degrees and then immediately drops the temperature to 350 when the bird goes in.  The temperature shock sort of sears the meat and helps to keep the flavor in while it's cooking.


Carved to the bone.


All of the wonderful sides.  My dad went all out!  Buttered Corn, Mushroom Bells, Steamed Green Beans, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Stuffing, Candied Yams, Cranberry Sauce and Rolls.  Oh my goodness.


The chef with his masterpiece.  At my dad's family Christmas party last weekend, one of my aunt's was marveling over the fact that my dad could barely make PB&J when he was a child and now he does all of the cooking.  Perhaps there's hope for me?


I walked into the dining room and my mom and my sister - who mock my food blogging and constant photo taking - were taking pictures of Christmas dinner!  I think I've converted them, ha!


My plate.  I took a little of everything.


And then I drowned everything in gravy.  Mmm ...


I licked my plate clean.

 

 My dad made Peanut Butter Pies for dessert!  One with a Graham Cracker Crust and one with an Oreo Crust.


Good news!  My dad gave me the recipe.  I will post it later tonight, I promise!

Pre and post dinner festivities included finishing up this beast ... 


A 1,000 piece puzzle that my sister got for Christmas - those Playbills were almost the death of me!


It was fun though - I refused to open presents until it was finished!

We are still at my parent's house - snacking on leftovers, watching The Nativity Story and tracking the blizzard that's coming our way!  A low-key Christmas, but full of food, family and laughter - I couldn't ask for anything more.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I saw that Playbill puzzle when I was in NYC last month and almost bought it! It looks impossible, though!!

    Glad you had a great holiday with your family :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails