Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve Traditions

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness — on them light has shined.
Isaiah 9:2


It's Christmas Eve!

It wasn't until I got to college that I found out that a lot of people actually have a big Christmas feast on Christmas Eve.  My family?  We were in between worship services and would get dinner at the gas station and eat it in the church kitchen ...


Somewhere along the way, my dad realized that if he cooked ahead of time, he could pack a cooler and we could at least eat good food!  I haven't been able to take part in the church-kitchen-Christmas-Eve-dinner for three years (we always stayed in Georgia for Christmas) and it was fun to jump back in!


Especially because my dad made Fried Chicken.


Who needs a Christmas Ham when you can eat Fried Chicken with your fingers?


 Who needs a side of mashed potatoes when you can eat a pickle?


Who needs a cocktail when you can pound a Diet Coke to keep yourself awake during the late service?


And who needs ... oh wait.  Christmas cookies are Christmas cookies.  Everyone needs Christmas cookies.

It seems lame, but I love it.  It was always just the four of us (now the five of us) and we had the whole church to ourselves.  Kind of magical in a way.  Does anybody else have weird traditions like that?


Bruce said no camera during worship, so I snapped this before people showed up.  My mom and I had the best view in the house.


All five candles are lit - Christmas is almost here!

Okay, 10 minutes until midnight and a certain elf has yet to wrap Bruce's gifts.  Goodnight all!  May you be touched by the spirit of Christmas in a way that nourishes and comforts you.

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful church!!

    I LOOOVE fried chicken haha. That looks so good! :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your blog. Speaking of Christmas Eve dining, one of my most memorable Christmas Eve's was one where Mom and I had to be at both services and NO fast food/restaurant/diner was open. So we ran to Wawa and got a bagel and a banana and took it back to the church in between services. We still talk about it and that was like 5 or 6 years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails