Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Taco Seasoning

Alternatively Titled:  Opportunities that arise when you fail to plan your menu and do not have all of your necessary ingredients.

After a busy weekend, Bruce and I did not do a very good job of planning out our menu for the week (maybe it was because I had a certain baby on my mind?) so we have kind of been winging it so far.  Actually, that's a lie - I was in class on Monday night and ate leftovers and last night we went out to eat before going out to see our friends - so, technically, tonight was the first night we were home to cook.  Anyway, we decided to make chicken tacos because we had just about everything - except for the taco seasoning to put in with the meat.  The thought crossed my mind to just grill the chicken without it, but, really - who wants bland tacos?

Then the thought crossed me that I could probably make my own taco seasoning with the spices on the spice rack that I got for my wedding.  Sarah and I were talking today about how easy it is to make basic things that we normally don't think twice about buying.  Sarah was reading a food blog that talked about making yogurt and I was telling her about making tortillas with Bruce the other night - both really easy, definitely cheaper than buying them and I love that I know exactly what I am eating.

I did a quick search and came across so many recipes for taco seasoning and tried it out - and it worked!!  Here's what I did ... 

Taco Seasoning 
(adapted from All Recipes)

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic power
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon salt


In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients


Store in an airtight container

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. So excited for this recipe. I like to eat like you. I like to know what I'm eating. I make pretty much everything and hardly buy processed food. Even made both my kids baby food. And I still make their stuff. I don't do box meals or frozen meals.
    Anyhoodle - will definitely make this!

    ps....You are buying the exact camera that I have and I ADORE it so much! It is worth it. I got mine on UBid for a total of $405.00, which included the shipping. It came with the camera, lens, case, 2 batteries and an 8 gig card!

    Have fun with your girl scout cookies. I love me some think mints and samoas (sp?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooo

    (said in my best Julia Child voice)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you in making your own seasoning! I love AllRecipes.com. They have some great recipes on there!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails