Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Baby Bliss

I really thought that I would have nothing to blog about tonight.  I was up until 2 a.m. this morning writing a paper, up at 7 a.m. to go to a meeting to go over said paper and then had class until 2:30.  Nothing overly exciting, but still pretty typical in my life.

But THEN - Bruce and I went to visit some of our friends from church who had a baby two weeks ago and ... sigh ... I literally sat and held a precious sleeping baby for two and a half hours!!  Seriously - y'all with children - how do you stand it?  They are SO CUTE!!

So anyway, the funny thing about little Max's birth story is that I was having an e-mail conversation that night with Angel - who had the little one - ten minutes before her water broke about a camera I wanted to buy!!  I literally did a double take when I woke up the next morning and saw the e-mail that said he was born, because I was so confused as to how someone goes from e-mailing about cameras to welcoming a baby into the world in five hours!!  Childbirth really is miraculous.

Anyway (there is a point to this story, I promise) Angel asked me tonight if I had ordered the camera and I told her that I kept chickening out because of how expensive it is.  But she swore up and down it was a worthwhile investment and got me thinking about possibly finally placing the order.  I had been given some money for my birthday and had a positive balance on my Amazon account so I realized that the cost wasn't nearly as much as the bottom line said it was.  I also found this while I was cleaning out my closets this weekend ...


... pennies that I have been collecting since college.  I never really thought pennies were worth much, but it turns out that when you save them for three years, you get something that looks like this ...


... $25.50 worth of wrapped pennies!!  Yes - you read that right.  $25.50.  I was shocked.  Before I wrapped them, Bruce and I tried to guess how much money it would add up to.  I said $9, Bruce said $8.50.

In the end - I am glad that we were way off.  All of that money went into the camera fund!!

Okay, so back to the drive home. (I swear this story has a point) I had actually asked Bruce not to buy me anything for my birthday (other than the cake of course!!) because I wanted to put that money into the camera fund.  He respected this request (which is hard for him, he loves giving gifts) and we have also been really good about our resolution to cook more and eat out less.  So I was really left with no more excuses.

So I came home, took a deep breath and clicked, "Proceed with Order."  It was terrifying and thrilling all at the same time.  In a few short days I will be the proud owner of a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi.  And I absolutely cannot wait.

There you have it.  I held a sleeping baby in my arms for 2 1/2 hours and bought a dSLR camera.  Never mind the fact that I am operating on less than five hours of sleep, I would say that makes for pretty much a perfect day.

And you know what?  I am not tired whatsoever. 

3 comments:

  1. So cool about the baby and the camera! I want a DSLR soooo bad!!!

    LOL about being holding a baby and being sleep deprived at the same time! You might not be a mom just yet, but that's pretty much a little insight into what it's like to be a mom of a new baby, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you wound up with that much in pennies...I save all mine and don't end up with enough to buy a can of coffee in three years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoyed seeing you last night and Max didn't seem to mind the attention either! Separately, if you have a 2 week old and get a solid five hours of sleep... you'll be one of the luckiest women I know!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails