Monday, February 15, 2010

How Sweet the Sound

Alternatively Titled:  Filed Under - Things I Never Thought I Would Post on My Blog

A couple of weeks ago I posted a list of ten things that make me happy and one of them was playing the saxophone.  I heard a couple of "I didn't know you played the saxophone"'s from people, which made me realize I didn't talk about it much.  I started playing when I was 8 years old (my father is a music teacher, so it was kind of assumed that my sister and I would play at least one instrument).  All through elementary school I played the tenor (my parents bought me one fairly early on), picked up a baritone in middle school and played that through high school (yeah, picture my 5'5 frame lugging around that big baritone saxophone - what was I thinking?).  When I got to college, my band director (who had majored in saxophone and was incredible to study under) encouraged me to try the alto.  I loved it, convinced my parents to buy me one and have found sabbath in playing ever since.

I haven't had many opportunities to play since I left Ursinus, but my music director at church will hand me a piece every now and then and I am always thrilled when he does.  This particular piece I love - it's called How Sweet the Sound and it was arranged by Mark Hayes.  It is essentially an arrangement of Amazing Grace.  I played it in church on Sunday and grabbed the Flip Camera on my way out the door and had Kari record for me.

Disclaimer:  The sound quality is terrible (it's hard to hear the choir because the pianist and I were right in front of the microphone on the camera), I was a little out of tune because the song was in the middle of the service (and I was about an hour away from my warm up) and you can pretty much only see me during the video (not the rest of the choir)  - sooooooo I hope you like my outfit, ha!!

Enjoy!!


How Sweet the Sound from Sarah Weaver on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. That was so great! I'm very impressed! I really liked that song too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have another video of it that I took. Let me try to find it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails