Thursday, January 14, 2010

What They Don't Teach You in Seminary

'Twas the night before classes started and all through the house
Sarah was filling in her calendar while enjoying a fire built by her spouse.

Ahhh, first day of classes.  It always sneaks up on me.

No, literally.  My first year at Candler, classes started the day after MLK day.  Last year they switched it.  So for two years in a row I have thought (up until the day before classes actually started) that I had another six days of freedom.  Then I realize I really only have about 18 hours left of then I start to hyperventilate a little bit.  You would think I would have learned my lesson last year and planned ahead a little bit better this year.  I did not.  So after dinner I pulled myself away from NCIS reruns, went to Office Max to buy myself a calendar and have spent the night deciding which color ink I will use to indicate classes versus meetings.

And so it begins.  My LAST SEMESTER OF SEMINARY.

Ummm ... holy crap.

I wish I had something really inspiring to say.  But I don't.  Because - let's face it - the nation of Haiti is facing the ramifications of a horrific natural disaster and all I can do is complain about the fact that I got my wires crossed and actually have to go to class today.  How can I allow myself to try to reflect on how much I've learned and grown when God's children are quite literally crying out in pain and desperation right now?

It's easy for someone like me to say, "I wish I had the means to give, but in the meantime I will just pray for the people of Haiti."  I really don't have that much money.  Bruce and I just got back from a vacation, we are coming off of the holidays, I currently owe Emory University a large sum of money and Citi Bank just added to the bottom of line of money that I will start to owe them six month after graduation.

But I have $10 to spare.  $10 that I won't even notice on my credit card statement.

And that's all it takes.

President Obama said this morning that he knows that times are tough in our country - and he knows people do not have a whole lot of extra to give right now.  He's right.  But he was good to remind people that they don't need to give a huge donation to make an impact.  Pennies add up - and ANY donation will make a huge difference.

Scott & Kelly Stamps over at Kelly's Korner have offered to donate $1 for every comment left on this post saying that they and their spouses/families have donated money.  They will donate up to $1,000.  If you have donated - head over and let them know!!

This is my last semester of seminary.  I have spent two and a half years "learning" how to be a minister, how to be true to God's Word.

But this is the stuff they don't teach you in seminary.

Prayerfully consider making even a small donation.  You will not regret it.

The Widow's Offering
He looked up and saw rich people putting their gifts into the treasury; he also saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins.  He said, 'Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them; for all of them have contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in all she had to live on.'
Luke 21:1-4

1 comment:

  1. such a sweet post & i really need to give, too. & definitely pray! that is cool that you're almost done w/ seminary. what are you hoping to do next??

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails