Sunday, September 13, 2009

Weekend Recipes - PopPop's Apple Pie

It's the second weekend in September and fall is definitely in the air!! It's still hot and muggy in Atlanta, but the leaves are showing a glimmer of changing and the mornings are crisp. What a better way to encourage fall to keep coming than to share one of my favorite fall recipes - my grandfather's (PopPop) apple piece.

This recipe makes me laugh because there is such little detail to it - but that is EXACTLY how my grandfather cooks.  I grew up with him making this apple pie and then my dad making it. It is simple and easy but oh so addicting once it comes out of the oven. Enjoy!!

Pie Crust (makes 2 - 9" crusts)

2 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup Crisco
5 tablespoons water
Dash of salt

Work the flour and the Crisco first until well mixed. Then add water and salt.

Pie Part (enough for BOTH pies)

2/3 cup flour
1 cup sugar

1 bag good baking apples (Red Delicious, McIntosh, Empire, etc. - something with a good sweet/tart balance), sliced
1 1/2 cup of sugar
Butter/Margarine
Cinnamon

Spread 1/3 cup flour and 1/2 cup sugar in bottom of crust. Cover with apple slices. Fill crust with bigger apple slices. Spread 3/4 cup of sugar over top of apples. Put a dab of butter on each apple. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails