Friday, August 26, 2011

Cucumber & Hummus Sandwiches

Oh man.  We had another dinner tonight.


'Stuffed' doesn't even begin to describe my state of being right now.  I may never be hungry again.

And yet it was all so so so good!

I kept going back and forth on what I wanted to bring to the dinner tonight, but ended up losing some cooking time as I dealt with the MA state of emergency / calling off church.

(I have to say - I felt ridiculous making the call when the skies were blue and the sun was shining.  But technically, I didn't make the call - the Governor's office did.)

Anyway, I decided to do something quick that I've always want to try - Cucumber and Hummus Sandwiches!  This was inspired by the cucumbers in our garden that were ready to be picked (we still have some!).  I don't really have measurements, per-say, but this is a super simple, quick sandwich - great for potlucks and individual meals!

Cucumber & Hummus Sandwiches

1 can Chick Peas
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Garlic
Minced Onion

Cucumbers

Honey Whole Wheat Bread


I don't have a food processor (bizarre, because I think I would get a lot of use out of one) so I make hummus in my mortar and pestle.  I drain and rinse the chick peas and add about 1/3 of the can to the mortar and crush them up.  Then I add another 1/3, crush and then the final 1/3.

Then it's really just a little bit of this and a little bit of that.  Don't add too much of anything at a time and taste as you go so you can add more garlic/onion to fit your taste buds.  Add a little bit of olive oil at a time until you reach your desired consistency.


Once the hummus is ready, wash and finely slice your cucumber.


Assembly line!


Slap some hummus on both sides of the bread ... 


Add the cucumber slices to one half ... 


Put together and slice!


If you want to have this as a main lunch sandwich (and not part of a bigger meal) I would probably load some more cucumbers on them and a touch more hummus for a fuller sandwich.  Soooo good!

On another note, is anyone else excited about the Pioneer Woman's cooking show on The Food Network?  It premieres tomorrow!  I think it's going to open a really neat window into her life on the ranch.

Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Instead of getting a food processor, I recommend the Magic Bullet. It does EVERYTHING! I've made soups, smoothies (every day!), salsa, and even use it as a mixer for single-serve cake/cookies!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails