Monday, May 2, 2011

Homemade Mozzarella Sticks

Bruce and I were at the grocery store this evening and at one point he started looking high and low in the freezer section for mozzarella sticks.  He didn't really like the only brand that we could find, so I suggested we make our own.  It was surprisingly easy and the taste was incredible.  I didn't take step-by-step photos because I was video chatting with my dad and talking about the status of their pool at the time (priorities, people!).


Essentially he followed the same process as we do when we make my dad's fried chicken - so hop over to that post if you want a more detailed summary!

Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
String Cheese
1/8 cup Flour
1 Egg, whisked
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1-2 cups Vegetable Oil (depending on the size of the pan you are using)

- Heat oil on med-med/high heat
- Cut the string cheese pieces in half
- Dredge the cheese in the following order: flour, egg, breadcrumbs
- Drop the pieces into the oil, turning often
- Remove when golden brown
- Serve with marinara sauce


The nice part about making your own (as opposed to buying them frozen) is that you know what is going in them and you can mix up the flavors.  It would be delicious to add a little bit of garlic, black pepper, perhaps some paprika or oregano (I wouldn't recommend all at the same time). 


An easy appetizer that is definitely a crowd-pleaser.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. i never thought about making my own mozz sticks, but now that you mention it, that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw these, I told my husband. How delicious and fun it would be to make those together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo-these look so delicious and I love that you can control the calories. The frozen store bought ones are packed with bad for you stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delish! I will have to try them sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one time we made fried mozzarella we forget to add the flour. Definitely doesn't work the same without it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails