Monday, April 18, 2011

The Cat Caught A Mouse!

I can't believe I forgot to tell you all this story!  Perhaps the funniest thing to happen in the parsonage so far.

Here's some back story - the day after we moved in one of our church members came over to go with Bruce to drop off the UHAUL.  As they were getting ready to leave, he thought he saw a mouse run behind the fridge.  Not all that surprising - we kind of live in the country, it had been chilly when we moved and we had doors open all day.  We meant to get traps, but didn't see/hear/sense it around after that day and assumed it found its way out.

Fast forward to yesterday.  After a long day Bruce and I collapsed on the couch in the media room and completely zoned out in front of the TV.  At one point we heard a cat-related crashed.  We looked at each other and I asked if we were curious enough to get up and investigate.  We both agreed not.  But then there was another crash - that peaked our interest.  So we both got up and walked over to the other side of the basement where the noise had come from.

Bruce was in front of me and all of a sudden looked at me and said, "You leave, I'll take care of it!"  At that moment I caught a glimpse of Lilly with the mystery mouse in her mouth.  I ran back to the couch and heard a couple of mini crashes.  "Did you get it?"  I'm not sure I wanted to know the answer!  "I don't know how to get Lilly to drop it!" Bruce yelled back.  So I walked back, watched Lilly drop the mouse, pick it up again when it tried to run away and then run up the stairs with it still in her mouth.

So here's the picture painted for you:  Lilly chasing a mouse.  Bruce chasing Lilly.  Me chasing Bruce.  The entire thing was hysterical to me and I'm not sure why.

Eventually we cornered Lilly under the table and she dropped the mouse long enough for me to grab her and Bruce to trap the mouse with a broom.  I took Lilly downstairs and Bruce chased the mouse outside.

And then Bruce came running down the stairs yelling, "THE CAT CAUGHT A MOUSE THE CAT CAUGHT A MOUSE SHE FINALLY MADE HERSELF USEFUL!"

Just another Sunday night in the parsonage.

***

Speaking of the parsonage ...


Good news!  Bruce borrowed a rototiller (thanks John!) and started clearing for his vegetable garden this afternoon!

More good news!  I learned how to spell rototiller!


This garden is going to be large.  As long as the first clearing and as wide as the rototiller to where Bruce is standing.  Stay tuned for more posts on what he's planting, how he's arranging everything and how he is going to collect rainwater so we're not having to waste water!


Lunch was late.  Hence why I'm posting about it at 7:30 and haven't eaten dinner yet!  It's just been one of those days ... 


A couple of us decided to grab some dinner after the show last night.  There was a Chinese restaurant down the street that was amaaaazing.  The prices were reasonable and the portions were huge!  We took so much food home - I heated up a big bowl of chicken fried rice for lunch.


Anybody else have a cat hunter?  I'm oddly proud of her right now ...

8 comments:

  1. hahaha! This is a great story, and I'm glad that your cat has become useful:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh! I'm glad the mouse survived the incident :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, yes-my Oriental Shorthair General Colton and get this...he has no teeth but the most powerful jaw this side of the Mississippi...I can't pry it open no matter how hard I try..he's terrible because he prays on the poor voles who are deaf and blind. I really didn't bring him up this way!

    I can see the scenario! Key Stone cops vs. the Feline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story about Lilly is ALL KINDS AND FLAVORS of FANTASTIC! Love it. One time, Samson caught/ate a bee...like Mr. Miagi-ed that thing and snatched it out of mid air. Woah.

    And I am SUPER excited to see what Bruce plants. A garden is on our agenda next year when Andrew is here full time...but I want to go ahead and get a rain barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahah LOVE that Lilly grabbed a mouse!!! Reminds me of the time Julep finally caught a chipmunk - still not sure how she got that fast lil thing!
    xoxo
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. thumbs up to this story! i hope the mouse was okay once it was outta the house. didn't scare it to death or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  7. where there is one, there are six, or eight, or ten......don't put the cat away yet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man... I want to plant a garden. Unfortunately we live in the woods and wouldn't have enough sunlight. Boo hoo.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails