Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie

When Bruce and I moved to Atlanta and I realized that I needed to learn how to cook more than the two meals that I knew how to make, we sat down one day and started writing a list of meal ideas, food that seemed feasible for us to prepare.  It sounds pathetic, but we were clueless and the "What do you want for dinner?" - "I don't know, what do you want?" - "I don't really care, whatever you want" conversation we were having every night was getting old.

One of the things Bruce kept talking about was this meat pie that his mom always made with Bisquick.  He said she got the recipe off of the back of a box, so I hopped online to see Bisquick posted recipes on their website.  They did!  Score.  So I carefully followed the directions and made Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie for dinner one night.  I wish I could say that it was an instant hit, but unfortunately it did take me a few tries to figure out how to make it the way Bruce's mom did.


Eventually I heard the most beautiful words come out of my husbands mouth.  "You've really nailed this recipe!"  Music to my ears.

This morning, Bruce came downstairs and asked if I had thought about dinner.  Since I was still rubbing my eyes and nursing a cup of coffee, I was open to suggestions.  He gave me a sweet smile (knowing that we didn't have most of the ingredients I would need in the pantry):  "Can you make Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie?"


Then he gave me that look.  Then I melted.  Then I started writing out a grocery list.  Then I spun my tires for 15 minutes as I tried to get out of the driveway and to the grocery store.  Then I made this ...

Impossible Easy Cheeseburger Pie

1 lb Ground Beef
1 large Sweet Onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Bisquick
1 cup milk
2 eggs


Start by chopping your onion.  The original recipe calls for about one cup, but I've found that it's okay to have a little bit more when you're using a sweet onion.  It gives the whole thing a nice flavor contrast.


Saute the meat and the onion.  If you like your onions cooked well, you might want to cook them up a little bit before you add the meat.  My sweet husband prefers the onions less caramelized, though, so I cook everything together.


Cook everything until the meat is browned ... 


And stir in the salt.


Spoon the mixture into a greased pie plate ... 


And top with cheese.


In a small bowl, whisk together the bisquick, milk and eggs.


And pour the mixture over the meat and cheese.


Pop into a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes.


You know that dinner's ready when you insert a fork, knife or toothpick into the pie and it comes out clean. 


The perfect condiment to serve this with?  Ketchup!


This is the ultimate form of comfort food.  Not healthy whatsoever.


 But I'm okay with that.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, my mom used to make impossible cheeseburger pie all the time when we were kids! Ahhhh, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grew up on this stuff! First thing I made when they came out with the gluten-free Bisquick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds so yummy. We may have to try this at our home! I think you could make it healthier, I plan on using the leanest ground beef, fat free cheese and applesauce instead of eggs. I will let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! New(ish) follower here! Love your blog! I've made this recipe too, and it seems to be a comfort food hit all around! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails