Friday, October 29, 2010

Creamy Cream of Mushroom and Veggies with Rice

Goooooood morning!  Thank you thank you thank you for all of the suggestions on how to deal with RLS after yesterday's post.  I am going to try some of the home remedies (Ivory Soap in the bed, thanks Mrs. Cooper!), as well as focus on preventative strategies (someone in yesterday's foodbuzz twitter chat suggested stretching right before I got into bed).  I'll keep you posted!

Onto this morning's recipe.  I'll be honest - the other day I was browsing my recipe page and was thinking about the fact that nothing that I post is overly complicated, creative or difficult to come up with on your own.  Are they even considered recipes?  Who knows ...

I realized, however, that I love posting recipe (meal ideas?) for two reasons.
1. As hard as I have tried, I cannot keep a recipe box/binder for the life of me.  I've started three since moving to Atlanta and they all remain unfinished.  I like having the recipes on my blog so I can pull them up wherever I am!
2. One of the most annoying conversations Bruce and I used to have on a regular basis is the "What's for dinner?" conversation.  We are both so indecisive and end up in a hunger-induced frustration about the fact that we can't decide what to eat.  Reading food blogs and experimenting in my own kitchen has really helped with those conversations and pushed me to think more creatively.  I hope sharing my own learning process can (1) help me when we're stuck in that conversation and (2) help others on their own process!

Okay, so onto actual FOOD.  I was dreaming this recipe up yesterday when I was working late and I'm really excited about sharing it.  Actually, I think I'm just really excited about the fact that I'm going to eat the leftovers for lunch.  I can only imagine the flavors get better overnight.

Creamy Cream of Mushroom and Veggies with Rice


2 cans Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can Water
1 can Mushroom Stems & Pieces
1 bag Frozen Broccoli
1 bundle Asparagus
1 medium Yellow Onion
1 cup Uncooked Rice
Salt & Pepper 


Start by combining the two cans of soup with one can of water ... 


... and whisk it up!


Pour into a skillet and turn on low-med/low heat.


Carefully add your mushrooms ...


... and broccoli.


Wash and chop your asparagus and stir them into the mix.


Dice the onions and throw them in last!


Then season season season!


Let it simmer, stirring often.

Once you've got the soup warming, start the rice.  By the time the rice is finished, the veggies in the soup will be cooked!


Serve over a big pile of rice.


Oh my.  So hearty.  So simple.  So delicious.


Question - what kind of rice do y'all use?  I normally buy long-grain, but decided I wanted to try medium-grain for this dinner.  I really liked the texture!


Okay, I'm ready for lunch.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I am right with you on the annoying conversation front! I always seem to know what I don't want, but not what I want. Plus I like to be the one to cook. It stresses me out when someone else is in my kitchen; more so now that I work from home and it's all *my* space!

    I love seeing those Campbell's soup cans. Campbell is my new married name :) The label was taken over by Batchelor's in the UK, so I don't get to see them anymore, but on our honeymoon in the US, I was all squealy every time I saw them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks REALLY good !! perfect veggie choices... this is making me hungry!!

    I found your blog a few days ago, and added it to my reader (I AGREED with and liked your comment on kwidrick re: "why I delete you from my reader")

    this morning reading your blog I realized we chatted a bit last night @ #healthbuzz ! :D

    so... hello again! *small world*

    HAPPY WEEKEND !

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh -- I really like the look of this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails