Sunday, July 11, 2010

Tired Ramblings

I survived my 26 hour Saturday on call!

The day itself was fairly quiet - I had a few calls, but nothing that took very long.  I decided around 11:30 that I was going to go to bed, started to drift off around midnight and my pager went off at 12:15.  Of course.  I made my way to the call, which lasted around 45 minutes.  By the time I got back to the lounge, logged the call and settled myself down it was 1:30.  I fell asleep and was dreaming soundly when I was jolted awake by the pager at 4:15.  This call lasted around an hour and a half, so I got back and napped for about an hour before it was time to wake up and get ready for the Sunday chaplain to arrive.  So I think collectively I might have gotten around four hours of sleep (which was fairly normal for me in college - how did I ever do that?!).

I couldn't leave the hospital until after the 9:30 worship service, which meant I was on the road around 10:10.  I flew home, changed my clothes and Bruce and I headed up to church for an 11:15 meeting.  By the time I got home at 2:00 I was sooooo tired but also equally hungry (I had only eaten a granola bar all day even with the calls in the middle of the night) so I made lunch and then crashed for two hours on the couch in front of the World Cup.  It felt so nice to sink into my own couch without a pager right next to my ear!

We have pretty much spent the afternoon and evening relaxing and cleaning.  A friend of mine came over tonight and we baked a delicious fruit pie (recipe and pictures to come!) and now we're watching NCIS reruns and blogging (yes, Bruce's blog is up and functional! - I'm still fighting with the layout so I'll share the link soon, I promise).  It really was the perfect way to spend a post-call day.

One of the nice things about being on call on Saturday is that your "recovery" day is Monday.  So even though I was technically recovering today, I still have tomorrow!  I plan on watching the Today Show and drinking coffee in bed, doing enough pilates until the muscles I don't know I have hurt and catching up on some blogging and blog reading.  Come back tomorrow and I might have more than the ramblings of an overtired chaplain, ha.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!


  1. I can't even imagine being on call for 26 hours straight! I don't think I could make it through, but I'm glad to hear you did!

  2. Your oncall sounds a lot lot being the mom of a newborn! :) Glad you made it through and hope you have a nice, relaxing day tomorrow1

  3. I'm glad you made it through your on call Saturday! Your recovery monday sounds amazing!


Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails