Monday, June 28, 2010

Apparently Being a Cat is Harder Than Being a Chaplain

I survived another night on call!  I had a fairly quiet day, a busy evening and then returned from my last call around 1 in the morning and was able to get roughly six hours of sleep.

Yesterday was my last Sunday on call for the summer.  I ended up with two and they fell back to back during the first half of the summer.  I hate to say this, but I'm honestly glad that my Sundays are out of the way.  The Sunday OC chaplain has to plan both Sunday worship for the hospital chapel in the morning and then for the psychiatry floor later in the afternoon.  The Saturday OC chaplain is still technically on call during the morning worship, but I was always so worried that the pager would go off during afternoon worship with the psychiatry patients and I would have to interrupt the service to respond.  Luckily that never happened - but it was still always in the back of my head!

Since I was able to get some sleep last night, I didn't need a nap when I got home.  I decided instead to eat some breakfast and pull out my pilates DVDs.  The DVDs that I have are broken into 20 minute workouts - and for some reason I had the bright idea to do two of them this morning!  It felt great and I needed the extended workout, but I am already feeling it in every muscle in my body.

The thought crossed my mind to stay inside and clean all day, but then I realized that I walked into the hospital at 7:45 Sunday morning and didn't leave until 9:00 Monday morning.  I needed some fresh air - so I went to the pool!  I totally underestimated how hot it is here - I spent two hours in the sun and then promptly came inside and slept for two hours.  Hot Sun + Busy On Call = Much Needed Nap for Sarah.

I really should be honest with you all.  I had myself completely psyched out before this last on call.  I actually teared up before I left and Bruce had to reassure me that things would be okay.  I desperately didn't want a day/night as bad as last week and I hate the feeling of being so alone when I'm the only chaplain at the hospital.  It's something that I'm working on, but I'm not sure that I will ever be completely comfortable with it.  I have no control over what is going to happen!  I don't know how the residents have done this all year.  Knowing that CPE is only 11 weeks long (and that I only have nine on calls total) has kept me calm when I start to freak out.  Thank you for your continued prayers - I feel less alone because of the wonderful support network that I have!

And because you know I don't like a post without pictures ...


You would have thought SHE was the one on call last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails