Saturday, May 15, 2010

Weekend Recipes - Southwestern Pasta Salad

A couple of weeks ago, Bruce and I were heading to a dinner party with some friends.  He asked me what I was making to bring.  The conversation went something like this:

Bruce:  What are you making for this shin-dig?
Sarah:  A pasta salad.
Bruce:  Do you make pasta salad?
Sarah:  I will tomorrow.

Bruce then proceeded to explain that you should never try out a new recipes on friends.  But it was too late - I had already bought all of my ingredients (and I figured Beth would be forgiving if it flopped).

Lucky for me (and for the 7 other people eating the dish) it was delicious.  Even better leftover once the flavors had more time to mesh together.  Enjoy!

Southwestern Pasta Salad

30-32 oz. Whole Wheat Rotini Pasta
2/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 cup Lime Juice
4 tbsp. Chili Powder
4 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Garlic
2 cans Whole Kernel Yellow Corn
2 cans Black Beans
2 cans Diced Tomatoes 
1 can Hominy
1 can Rotel

Bring a pot of water to a boil


Cook pasta until tender


Drain and cool pasta.


Depending on how much time you have, you can either pop the drained pasta in the refrigerator for an hour or you can (if you are like me and impatient) rinse and soak it in cold water.

Hmm - I need a larger colander.  Bruce - our wedding anniversary is coming up.  Nothing says "I love you" like a larger colander.

Moving right along ... 


Once you've gotten the pasta and water out of the pot (I used my Dutch Oven), whisk together oil ... 


... lime juice ... 


... chili powder ... 


... cumin ... 


... salt and garlic.


Add chilled pasta and stir carefully.

Or you could be like me and not stir carefully and fling pasta all over your kitchen.  That's fun, too.


Drain and rinse corn, hominy ... 


... and black beans and stir carefully into pasta.


Drain the diced tomatoes and stir into pasta.


Ahh, Rotel.  Where have you been all my life?  Even if my education were terrible, I wouldn't regret my time spent in the south based on the simple fact that I was introduced to Rotel.

Anyhoo, drain your Rotel and add to pasta.


Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I'll vouch for Sarah, it was delicious! Especially a few days later, I helped her eat all the leftovers - this recipe makes enough to feed an army!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh Rotel. Here's an easy and DELICIOUS recipe to add to the rotel list. Brown a pound of sausage. I like the sage kind. Italian works also. Stir in a package of cream cheese and a can of rotel. Eat with tostitos. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails