Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Light of God

Sometimes I just need a visible reminder that God is present in my life.  When it is possible, I light candles and just let myself be taken away by the flickering light.  I did this tonight.

Growing up, I would always help my mom lead the Maundy Thursday at our church (this is the service where many Protestant churches read the Passion Narrative where Jesus is put to death on the cross).  We would split the narrative into eight parts; we would start the service off with nine candles lit (eight taper candles and one pillar candle) and after each part of the narrative is read, one taper candle is extinguished.  At the end of the service only one candle remains lit - the pillar candle, the Christ candle.  This is the light that reminds us that even in our darkest hour - even on the cross - God's light still shines.


Even in our darkest hour - God's light still shines.

2 comments:

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails