Saturday, October 31, 2009

Weekend Recipes - Spicy Beef Vegetable Stew

Happy Halloween!!  Here in Atlanta it has been rainy and cold all day.  The PERFECT day to have something cooking all day in the Crock Pot.  I decided to try out Spicy Beef Vegetable Stew, a recipe that I found while bored in class on Thursday.

Spicy Beef Vegetable Stew


1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 (30 ounce) jar meatless spaghetti sauce
3 1/2 cups water
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 cup sliced celery
1 teaspoon beef bouilon granuale
1 teaspoon pepper

In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Transfer to slow cooker.
Stir in the remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the vegetables are tender.

Some notes on what we did:
- I couldn't find a 16 oz. bag of the frozen vegetables that I wanted, so I bought the 32 oz. with the intent of only using half - I think I used more than half but it didn't seem to overpower the stew to use more than it called for.
- Next time we will DEFINITELY use LESS pepper than the 1 teaspoon that it calls for.  If you like pepper or need your sinuses cleared, I would say use the full teaspoon - otherwise, I would recommend cutting it in half.
- Even on low, it started to boil around 6/7 hours - so make sure you are around after it has been in for awhile to stir.

Here's to warming up a rainy day!!
Sarah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails