Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Strong Women

I'm taking a class this semester called Women in Religious Leadership and we have a very large group project due at the end of the course. This project will give me the opportunity to look at different women - religious and secular figures - that play or have played a significant role in society. My group and I are in the process of choosing our women and it's got me thinking about popular women figures that inspire me.

These are just some of my preliminary thoughts ...


Michelle Obama
She is brilliant, successful, kindhearted and selfless. She is well-spoken and carries such humble confidence.


Anne Lamott
She taught me what it means to see faith in all facets of life.


Ann Curry
She finds the truth - plain and simple. Her journalistic integrity in incredible, her commitment to finding and telling stories never-ending. No story goes untold.


Kristin Chenoweth
She is proof that faith can be expressed through music that isn't necessarily considered to be within the genre of Christian Music.


Mary, Mother of Jesus
(I realize she's not contemporary, but I'm breaking my own rule)
She answered the ultimate call from God.
(This is a picture of the Michelangelo's Pieta, a beautiful sculpture in Rome depicting Mary weeping over Jesus following his death)

What about you all?  Are there women in contemporary culture (or in history or the Christian faith) that have really inspired you?

Photos courtesy of the following websites: Michelle Obama, Anne Lamott, Ann Curry, Kristin Chenoweth, Mary, Mother of Jesus

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll have a lot of fun with this project. Those are all great women. I think my contemporary one will be Jane Austin. She is such an inspiration for breaking out of the societal "mold" especially when it comes to women and the feminist movement. A bible based woman that I admire a lot is Anna, Samuel's mother. That woman had such faith and dedication.
    Good luck with your project and have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails