Monday, August 10, 2009

If I were one of Pavlov's dogs I would be salivating right now.

I don't remember much about high school psychology (I was a senior, I had been inducted into the National Honor Society, I had already been accepted into college, what was to remember?), but I do remember learning about Ivan Pavlov.  He's most known for his research on classical conditioning, noting that dogs salivate just at the sound of a bell after repeatedly coinciding the sound of the bell with food.  The whole point of his research is that people (and dogs, apparently) react to sounds, sites and smells rather than to situations themselves.

Needless to say, when I turned on the NFL All-Star Game last night on NBC and heard this:


... it smelled like snow.

I mean, not in the literal sense.  It's not going to be below 90 degrees once this week.

But there's something about that opening jingle that just brings me to a late November / early December Sunday evening.  The football game would be on.  My dad would be walking in and out of the family room onto the upper deck of our house, gathering firewood for the fire.  The air was crisp - you could actually smell the snow forthcoming.  I would be sprawled out on the floor doing homework, drinking tea and secretly hoping that the snow would blanket our town in time for school to be cancelled.  I would bundle up and a take a late night walk, staring at the stars, daydreaming about life and talking to God about what my future would look like.

The transition from fall to winter is such a magical time.  Even though it's definitely not the same in Georgia as it is in Connecticut - I am SO ready for it to be here.

2 comments:

  1. That's seriously my favorite time of year! There is nothing like the crisp anticipation of a snow fall...

    I think this means you have to come back north and live near us :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails