Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Circle of Life

I'll admit it.  When my sister told me that she was singing "The Circle of Life" from The Lion King at my cousin's wedding - accompanied by my father on the guitar - I was skeptical.  In fairness to me, the last two times I'd heard the song it was while actors and actresses in elaborate animal costumes made their way through the audience and onto a stage. (Side note - if you've never seen The Lion King live on stage - do it - it will be worth every penny) But I kept thinking to myself, "The Circle of Life" at a wedding?

However ... something happened on top of the mountain.  I realized just how naive and close-minded I was being.  This wedding wasn't just a celebration of a couple's commitment to one another, it was - forgive me for sounding like a cliche - a celebration of the circle of life.  

We spanned the generations - from a six week old infant to an 85-year-old grandparent, we all made the same hike, witnessed the same promises, celebrated the same covenant.  

We stood in the same circle.  There were no reserved pews for family members towards the front (I say cowering my guilty-of-this-head in shame).  There was no beginning or end to the circle.

We were able to experience nature - God's creation.  The sun, the heat, the flies, the mosquitos, the birds, the grass, the dirt, the uneven terrain and more were all God's creation.

God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good.
- Genesis 1:31

Something very very special happened on the top of the mountain.  Listening to my sister sing about something so powerful that I was experiencing, that was present and in the flesh, just about took my breath away.

See for yourself.



Pretty awesome, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails