Sunday, August 30, 2009

But let justice roll down like waters ...

... and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.
Amos 5:24

At some point during church this morning, it started to rain.  And not the slow, steady, light kind of rain - the hard, flood-causing, pouring buckets of water kind of rain.  The kind where low-to-the-ground cars need to be careful when navigating puddles so all four wheels stay on the ground.

As Bruce and I slowly navigated our way inside the perimeter and towards home, I told him that rain of this magnitude reminded me of the passage from Amos, But let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.  Without any further explanation, Bruce saw the same image that I saw.

Imagine what the world would look like if the rain that poured on Atlanta was justice.  If when the clouds parted and the sun peeked out conflicts had ceased, wars had ended, inequalities has dissipated and peace had blanketed our beautiful land.

I realize there is a perfectly reasonable meteorological explanation for why there was such a heavy downpour this afternoon - but what if humanity ignored the facts and saw the downpour as an opportunity to cleanse itself?  What if when the sun peeked through the clouds it revealed to possibilities for a better world?

August is drawing to a close - the summer is almost over.  I gave myself a little blog makeover this weekend to bring in the spirit of fall!!  It's a new season full of new possibilities.


The rain has lessened, but it's still steady.  Listening to it gives me hope that a better world is possible.

Image courtesy of open salon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails