Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Prayers for a Broken World

I can't believe what's going on in the world.  First Myanmar and now China, with miniature storms and tornados that are causing injuries and fatalities all over the United States.  MSNBC.com says right now that the Red Cross is predicting the death toll in Myanmar to top 127,000 and the death toll in China at 15,000 with nearly 40,000 still buried or missing.  I can't even fathom that many people.

My parents are gearing up right now to move to Kent, CT - the town where my mom's church is.  The population in Kent is 3,000.  60 TIMES THAT AMOUNT OF PEOPLE have died or are predicted to be dead in Asia due to the natural disasters that struck their land.  It's just not fair.  My heart aches for the families who have no idea where their parents, children and spouses are.  My heart aches for those who have no idea what the next step is.  My heart aches for those who are alone, hurt and scared.  The following is a collect that I've written - it doesn't change what has happened, it probably won't make anyone feel better about what's happened, but hopefully it will open a gateway for those in prayer to be comforted by the Holy Spirit ...

A Collect of Hope
Gracious God
Your wisdom is far from that of a human mind
Help us to release the tension of needing to understand all that we see and all that we encounter
Through this we are reminded that you are the all-powerful, and that we should attempt to trust before we attempt to understand; for if we trust in You we will find grace
We pray this prayer through Jesus Christ, whose trust in you was neverending
Amen.

Please join me in praying to God for trust that all of those who hurt, who cry and who are in pain will soon be granted peace.

With Grace,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for commenting! Unless I have your email address, I respond to all questions directly in the comment form. Check back if you've asked one! xo, Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails